Anna Jaques Hospital Puts Breast Health in the Spotlight During October
AJH plans month to remember – Ribbon-Cutting at the Gerrish Breast Care Center, Pink Glove Dance Video Contest, “Pamper You Pink” Mammograms, and more – to commemorate
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Newburyport, Mass. – September 30, 2013 - Anna Jaques Hospital today announced plans to celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October with a variety of community-centered activities. These plans underscore the hospital’s commitment to breast care and the health of the communities it serves.
Foremost among these is the ribbon-cutting ceremony marking the official opening of the Gerrish Breast Care Center at Anna Jaques Hospital to be held on October 17, 2013. Hospital leadership, physicians, donors and community leaders will join in the ceremony and reception afterwards at the new center located in the Newburyport Medical Center.
Other notable happenings in October include:
- On Wednesday, October 9, the Gerrish Breast Care Center will be the focus of the annual Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce breakfast. It is co-sponsored by the Institution for Savings and dedicated to breast cancer awareness, featuring Dr. Peter Hartmann, the Gerrish Breast Care Center Medical Director and breast surgeon, as a speaker and a sneak peek at the Pink Glove Dance video.
- AJH is participating in the national 2013 Medline Pink Glove Dance Contest, which was launched to tap into the creativity, joy and hard work of caregivers from coast to coast. Prizes for creatively-themed videos are awarded as donations to breast cancer charities in the name of the winners. The hospital has chosen the Amesbury-based Tough Warrior Princesses as its charity and a custom video has been created (shot at various locations around the community). AJH’s dance video’s theme is “community”. Voting for the best video will take place October 27 through November 8 at www.pinkglovedance.com.
- AJH will offer “Pamper You Pink” mammograms, designed for women over 40 who have put off having their first mammogram or haven’t had one in three years or more. Women will enjoy spa-style treatment with a massage, special music, chocolates and more. Pamper You Pink mammograms will be offered October 17, 18 and 19. Thursday evening and Saturday morning appointments available in Newburyport; Friday appointments available in Amesbury. Call 978-834-8210 to register. (Note: Mammograms are covered by most insurances; a physician referral is not required.)
- Area salons will participate in a Cut-A-Thon throughout the month of October to benefit the Gerrish Breast Care Center. Salons include: All About You (Amesbury), Ana's Hair Salon (Newburyport), Essencia Spa & Salon (Amesbury), Interlocks Salon & Day Spa (Newburyport), Sheer Illusions (Seabrook), Skyy Salon & Spa (Salisbury), Spa Paradiso and Salon (Newburyport) and Vintage Salon & Day Spa (Rowley).
- In observance of Breast Cancer Awareness Month and Breast Reconstruction Day, Michele Sasmor, MD, FACS, plastic surgeon at RiverSong Plastic Surgery, will give a talk entitled, “Discussion for Options in Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy.” It will be held in the Higgins Conference room on Thursday, October 24 at 6:30 p.m. Light refreshments will be served. Please call 978-462-8300 to register.
- Local coffee shops and bakeries will be wrapping cups of “joe” in custom protective coffee sleeves to spread the word about the importance of early detection and the opening of the Gerrish Breast Care Center.
Look for more details on each of these events and more throughout the month.