Anna Jaques Hospital and Amesbury Health Center recognize the rights and individuality of each patient.
We believe that the recognition of these rights contributes to more effective patient care, greater satisfaction for you, for your physician and for the health care team. We also believe that you, as a patient, must recognize responsibilities as they relate to the hospital, your care and treatment and, of course, your health.
- The right to considerate and respectful care
- The right to privacy and confidentiality
- The right to be informed about your condition
- The right to informed consent
- The right to know the physician responsible for coordinating your care
- The right to know how the hospital is connected professionally with other hospitals or health agencies
- The right to refuse to be examined, observed or treated by students or other hospital staff
- The right to be advised of experimentation affecting your care
- The right to be informed of the alternative treatments for breast cancer
- The right to expect reasonable continuity of care
- The right to prompt life saving treatment
- The right to make an advance directive
- The right to refuse treatment
- The right to have reasonable requests responded to promptly
- The right to interpreters
- The right to request a different physician
- The right to view and receive copies of medical records in accordance with state law and hospital policy
- The right to receive copies of bills
- The right to know what rules apply to your conduct as a patient
- The right of a handicapped person to receive equal care
- The right to receive information relative to financial assistance and free health care
- The right to receive medical services without discrimination
- The right to have visitors without discrimination
- The right to complete a Patient Satisfaction survey so we may improve service and maintain high standards of patient care
Anna Jaques Hospital and the Amesbury Health Center do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, creed, national origin, race, gender, handicap or ability to pay.
- Follow hospital rules and regulations affecting patient care.
- Be considerate of the rights of other patients and hospital personnel.
- Adhere to No Smoking policy.
- Be respectful of the property of other people and the hospital.
- Cooperate with all caregivers. Ask questions if you do not understand the course of treatment and what is expected of you.
- Keep appointments and notify the hospital if you must cancel or reschedule. Provide accurate and complete information about past illnesses, hospitalization, and medications.
- Accept the consequences if you refuse treatment or do not follow doctor's orders.
- Pay hospital bills promptly, provide necessary information for insurance processing, and seek answers to any questions you have about your bill.
Report unexpected changes in your condition to your physician.
HIPAA: Your Privacy is Important to Us
At Anna Jaques Hospital your privacy is of utmost importance and everyone strives to provide the highest level of patient privacy to all our patients. Every employee, clinician and Physician is committed to protecting the confidentiality of your health information and follows state and federal laws concerning privacy.
HIPAA is the federal guideline that further protects the privacy of your medical information as part of the comprehensive Health insurance and Accountability Act (HIPAA). The HIPAA guidelines became effective in April 2003 and sets a broader standard for hospitals to protect patients’ privacy. Read our HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices here.
Photos/Videos of Patients or Staff / Non Media
In order to ensure a safe and private environment for patients, families, and staff, videotaping, audio recording, digital recording and / or otherwise photographing patients and/or staff is not permitted unless for purposes of care and treatment or as specified in the hospital’s photo policy.
Anna Jaques has a longstanding commitment to protect the privacy of all patients. If you should have any questions related to your privacy, please speak with your healthcare provider or contact our Hospital Privacy Officer at (978) 463-1108.
Sharing Your Concerns
You have the right to file a verbal or written complaint with the hospital. Please share your concerns with your caregivers or ask to speak with the director of the department.
Compliance Hotline Policy Statement
Anna Jaques Hospital is committed to the timely identification and resolution of all issues that may adversely affect employees, patients or the organization. Anna Jaques Hospital has established communication channels to report problems and concerns, including avenues for patients, employees or interested parties to report suspected criminal activity, and illegal or unethical conduct occurring within the organization in the event other resolution channels are ineffective or the caller wishes to remain anonymous.
You may call 978-463-1400 ex. 2313 or send a written complaint to:
Anna Jaques Hospital
Director of Quality/Patient Safety Officer
25 Highland Avenue
Newburyport, MA 01950
We support the strong focus that the Joint Commission, The Board of Registration in Medicine and the Department of Public Health place on quality and patient safety. We ask that you bring concerns to the attention of the hospital administration so that we can work together to insure patient safety. If you feel issues are not adequately addressed, you have the option to report your concern to:
The Joint Commission
Office of Quality Monitoring
One Renaissance Boulevard
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
800-994-6610 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, Central Time weekdays email@example.com (Fax) 630-792-5636
The Board of Registration in Medicine
200 Harvard Mill Square
Wakefield, MA 01880
The Department of Public Health
Division of Health Care Quality
99 Chauncey Street, 11th Floor
Boston, MA 02111
An advocacy office has been established within the Massachusetts Department of Public Health to investigate concerning alleged violations of the law. Anyone may report a suspected case of discrimination to:
Patient Protection Unit
Division of Health Care Quality
250 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02180-4619